Saturday, January 02, 2010
This morning, I got up early (to train myself for the inevitability of going back to school on Monday), walked the dog in the freezing, freezing cold, and headed off to Uptown to cross off my first New Year's resolution. I was going to my first belly dancing lesson in the dance studio above Birch's Pharmacy. Classes begin at the beginning of January and they are offered almost every day of the week, but I decided that Saturday was best for me. Otherwise it becomes a day of too much thinking, moping, and procrastinating.
Well, I got there only to discover that classes actually begin on Monday, so Saturday's first class isn't until next week. This was all very clearly spelled out on their website, which I checked three times before I headed off to a strange land, but despite my enormous brain, I have all kinds of trouble reading calendars, and so I misread the date.
Anyway, I made the best of it. An outing is never bad when you are younger than your housemates by over 50 years. I bought myself some Yak Tracks so I can walk Buddy through ice and snow. Then I got home, and crossed off another resolution by buying my train ticket to Portland.
Now, I'm at least 90 percent certain that my Portland ticket really does involve travel during the actual dates of my Spring Break, but it was all on a calendar so I can never be 100 percent certain until the date actually comes around.
Friday, January 01, 2010
Dear Friends and Family,
I’ve never written the holiday letter or Christmas card before because I don’t have any cute kids to share with you. Buddy doesn’t like having his picture taken, and although I am pretty vain, I draw the line at sending everyone I know of photo of myself for Christmas. However, I am the number one fan of your holiday cards and photos, and so, to encourage you not to drop me from your list, here is my first annual New Years Resolution letter.
Whereas, I have room to improve and grow in 2010, be it resolved that this year I vow to do the following.
- Smile more, especially in November and February.
- Say goodbye to everyone when I leave a party
- Go to graduate school (finally) starting in March
- Go to the gym twelve times a month, until such time as it is warm enough to allow my membership to lapse
- Be less cheap
- Take the train to Portland, OR for Spring Break
- Go to my 15-year reunion, and be proud of what I’ve done in the last 15-years, even though I’ve never yet been ambassador to the U.N. Nor have I cured cancer. At least I didn’t join a cult.
- Run another half marathon and beat my time from last year
- Have more dinner parties
- Take myself out to dinner more
- Finish painting the basement
- Go to the Dominican Republic in the summer
- Join a running club and go more than twice before I quit
- Visit the Black Hills
- Learn to dance or at least take lessons.
- Go to a weekly exercise class at least four weeks in a row
- Say yes more
- Say no more
- Stop procrastinating
- Ask for help when I need it
- Write more
- Read more books
- Join a book club that reads books
- Design knitting patterns and write them down
Furthermore, the following resolutions will happen in 2010, although they will most likely not result in much growth or improvement.
- Watch the rest of West Wing, even though the walk-and-talk is starting to annoy me
- Forget to wash the dishes sometimes before I go to bed
- Hope that Buddy can survive the night without a third walk
- Laugh with my nephews and nieces and my pseudo nieces and nephews
- Eat many dinners at Jimmy and Judy’s house
- Knit in front of the TV
- Play Wii at Perley and Jill’s
- Watch So You Think You Can Dance with Sarah
- Eat at least one Jucy Lucy
- Eat too many croissants at A Baker’s Wife
Finally, the following resolutions will continue from last year (and the year before).
- Volunteer every other week at the library
- Donate blood sporadically
- Give everything I can to teaching, because it’s a job I love and do well
- Pay my mortgage close to on time
- Care deeply for my friends and family and the children of my friends and family.
I am grateful to have you in my life. Have a happy new year. Don’t forget to send any hot single guys you meet my way for a once over.
Love and kisses from Alex and Buddy