Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Darkest Recesses of my Heart

My brother came home early while I was taking care of the nephew yesterday. The kid was napping (Finally, after an hour of sqirking around in the big boy bed, he passed out after a block in the stroller), and I was watching my Netflix DVD in the living room. Well, I jumped right up, turned it off, pulled out the DVD, and stuffed it in my purse as soon as I heard the doorknob turn, but it was too late. He caught me.

"What are you watching? What is that?" Ever the big brother, always able to catch the slightest hint of shame.

"It's, um, it's Battlestar Galactica." Ever the less-than-cool little sister, always apologizing for my nerdiness.

"The TV show?" Disbelief.

"Yeah, well, it's from Netflix. I kind of love it."

And, so, as long as I've already been outed by my favorite older brother, I might as well tell you, faithful readers, Jenn and Jen alike. I love Battlestar Galactica. And no, I am not secretly a man. Women can like Sci Fi, too, you know. Really, really nerdy women, for example.

But, if you want to judge, then at least watch some of it before you do, because if you do you'll see a show in which the humans are driven to participate in suicide bombings, and you'll see main characters argue about the use of the tactic. You'll see secret wartime tribunals meet to condemn accused traitors, and you'll see the danger of the secret tribunal as they almost execute an innocent man. You'll see post-traumatic stress turn Starbuck into a not-so-sympathetic heroine. You'll watch intelligent arguments about genocide and biological warfare. And you'll get to see gratuitous shots of Lee Adama with his shirt off, which just about proves that I'm not the only straight woman watching the show.

So, anyway, I'm not trying to deny my nerdiness. Indeed, I am thankful that it allowed me to watch such an intelligent and pertinent show (gratuitous male torsos aside). I will just say that my name is Alex, and I am a Battlestar Galactica viewer, and I'm proud. Join me. Together we can conquer the final frontier and make Sci Fi safe for women at long last.

5 comments:

OneN said...

Al...I may not be straight, but I too am a BSG fan! Personally I was really interested in Lt. Sheba, wasn't sure why at the time, but I've since figured it out. Who wouldn't enjoy seeing those Cylons go down in flames (which I find a bit hard to believe since there isn't enough oxygen in space to really burn anything)!

Alex said...

Oops. You showed me up. I don't know the old BSG. I'm all new-school when it comes to my sci fi viewing. Still Lt. Sheba has a certain hotness, according to the Internet.

Anonymous said...

Zeke is a BIG BSG fan too. I may have to start watching it.

Anonymous said...

Oops. That last comment was left by your cousin Perley btw.

Alex said...

Perles,
You totally should. The miniseries that starts the whole thing is a long hard slog (don't say I didn't warn you), but the rest of it is great, starting with the first episode after the miniseries. I can even lend you seasons 1 and 2 to get you hooked.
The first one's free...