Sunday, December 21, 2008

Paradox

So, I was thinking about my blind date today, and I was thinking that I didn't have high hopes for it. He seems introverted and numerically inclined, which is fine, but I'm starting to think that two such people in a relationship is one too many. Still, he contacted me, and I didn't say no, because I'm trying to be open and yes-y.

And then I was thinking about all of these people who keep telling me that I shouldn't try so hard, that I will meet my someone when I least expect it. And for a brief moment I thought maybe this was when I would least expect it, which, of course, ruined the moment, and brought me back to where I started.

3 comments:

swabmenot said...

Funny, I also have a first date tonight. Tell me you're not going to Khindo.

You know, almost exactly a year ago, I was as pessimistic as one could possibly be before a first date, and it turned out to be one of the best I'd had in a long time. Don't underestimate your ability to draw out the best and the funniest in a shy person, Alex. I hope you are surprised at how much you enjoy yourself.

Chris H. said...

I'm going with the "it'll happen when it happens (least expect it)" thing too. The most attractive thing to me about that route is that hopefully the connection will arise without any of the usual date-y posturing or fronts being put up - well-intentioned or otherwise. The hard part about it is that you feel like you are sort of giving up control or not being proactive enough. We can be quite hard on ourselves that way... Try, try again!

Alex said...

Your comment, Chris, is exactly the reason I why keep quitting dating. It's also the reason why I keep starting up again.